The Austin Technology Incubator is the startup incubator of the University of Texas at Austin. A program of the University’s IC2 Institute, ATI has a 25-year track record of helping founding teams achieve success.
“We Get You Funded”
ATI focuses on helping startups compete successfully in the capital markets. We don’t write checks. But we have strong, long-term, trust-based relationships with investors—the local angel investors community, local and national venture capital firms, and sources of public funding. It works. Some stats:
- 85% of our 2012 graduating class received funding while at ATI
- Members of that class have now collectively raised over $335 million
- Since 2007 ATI companies have raised over $650 million in the capital markets
- More than 40% of Texas Emerging Technology Fund awards in Central Texas have gone to ATI members
How the Value is Delivered
We surround founding teams with talent that they couldn’t otherwise afford. That talent comes in 3 flavors:
- Our professional staff. Our team of full-time professionals is made up of people who previously were successful entrepreneurs, investors, tech executives, and consultants. They work with you to identify your most critical issues and design a custom program to attack them.
- Students and faculty at UT-Austin. ATI hires student associates from across UT, with 30-35 working at the incubator each semester. ATI also collaborates with faculty in academic programs at UT—such as Texas Venture Labs in the Business School and Startup Studio in Engineering—to ensure that our companies have access to the full range of entrepreneurship support at UT-Austin.
- Our network of mentors, advisors, and investors. We work with over 300 members of the Austin tech community—people who have been successful as entrepreneurs, executives, investors, technologists, professionals—to ensure we match the right people to the right problems at the right companies. We also collaborate extensively with other startup support organizations in Central Texas (including DreamIt, CTAN, Capital Factory, Techstars, TechRanch, Incubation Station, and others) so that our members enjoy the full benefit of being in Austin.
Our program is customized to each company. We don’t have one process that each member must follow. We’re made-to-measure, not off-the-rack. We find that’s the best way to get results.
ATI practices rolling admissions. Fill in our on-line application and if we think there might be a fit, we will reach out to you. Our due diligence/get-to-know you process is driven by meetings between the founders, ATI people, and relevant experts from the community. The feedback and relationships generated through this process often has considerable value regardless of the final admissions decision.
Even though the Incubator is part of UT-Austin, any company can apply. There is no requirement that a startup needs to be based on UT technology, or have any other connection to UT, in order to be a member of ATI.
ATI is a selective incubator-a big part of the value we offer to our investor partners is a tightly curated portfolio. Of the 1,000 applicants that we have received over the past 5 years, we have admitted 8-10% into ATI membership.