SEAL (Student Entrepreneur Acceleration and Launch)
Student Entrepreneurs. Experienced Mentors. Collaborative Workspace.
Student Entrepreneur Acceleration and Launch (SEAL) is The University of Texas at Austin’s selective summer accelerator that picks the most promising emerging UT startups (undergrad, grad, and occasionally faculty teams) and helps them confront their next market-driven milestone.
SEAL started in 2009 with the goal of empowering student entrepreneurs to vet their ideas, test the waters, learn the tips and tricks of entrepreneurship, and try their hands at obtaining funding.
The 9-week program provides:
- Mentorship: Participants learn from industry and/or field experts who offer guidance and insight on industry-specific deal killers.
- Lunch and Learns: Tutorial sessions provide key knowledge areas needed to build a scalable business including market sizing, financial forecasting, and intellectual property strategies.
- Fundraising Pitch Development: Teams pitch their projects on the first day, develop and improve the plan throughout the program, and present the business pitch on Decision Day.
- D-Day: The program culminates with a Decision Day where based on individual research and expert advice, teams decide whether their project can survive the real world or not.
- Relationships: Participants get to know other entrepreneurs, mentors, and investors from the broader Austin startup ecosystem.
Over the last 11 years, 33% of companies went onto to raise funding, while 33% shut down around the end of the program. (The No-Go decisions are equally celebrated as it takes special effort to recognize market-driven obstacles to an opportunity and realize that it is right not to pursue it.)
To date, SEAL alumni companies have raised $100M and generated over $400M in valuation. Notable alumni include Favor (acquired by HEB), M87 (acquired by XCOM), Lynx Laboratories (acquired by Occipital), Accordion Health (acquired by Evolent Health), Flo Recruit, Elite Sweets, Mutual Mobile, Ordoro, and EQO to name a few.
SEAL has been run by the Austin Technology Incubator since 2009. Starting in 2019, SEAL is headed by staff from ATI’s sister organization Blackstone LaunchPad in continued partnership with ATI.
SEAL Class of 2020 applications will open April 2020.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date about SEAL and other startup opportunities from ATI.
ATI SEAL Class of 2019
Provides predictive analytics to help B2B sales organizations sell more with less effort.
Electric vehicle transportation city to city.
Smart cushion, designed to fit any wheelchair, that dynamically alleviates areas of high pressure to reduce the risk of developing pressure ulcers.
Diverting organic waste from landfills to generate renewable clean energy while capturing carbon in value added products known as biochar.
Food delivery for college campuses.
Provides a communication and location services platform that is reliable in limited cell environments.
Medical device company aiming to eliminate the occurrence of pocket hematoma post pacemaker implantation.
Swayy is a clothing aggregator that creates curated shopping experiences.
Automotive listing optimization company.
ATI SEAL alumni
ATI SEAL Class of 2018
Carnack (Kilroy Blockchain)
Drones of Prey
H2Optimize / Hydroid
Katz Water Technologies
Revitalize Charging Solutions
ATI SEAL Class of 2017Blueberri
Molecular Artificial Retina
ATI SEAL Class of 2016AeroClay
Class of 2009
Sparq Mobile / Mutual Mobile