SEAL (Student Entrepreneur Acceleration and Launch)
Student Entrepreneurs. Experienced Mentors. Collaborative Workspace.
SEAL is The University of Texas at Austin’s selective nine-week summer program designed to help student teams tackle the most difficult, deal-killing questions of their new ventures.
The SEAL program started in 2009 with the aim of empowering student entrepreneurs to vet their ideas, test the waters, learn the tips and tricks of entrepreneurship, and try their hands at obtaining funding. To date, Austin Technology Incubator continues to bring together teams from not only University of Texas at Austin, but also Argonne National Laboratories, Duke University, Texas A&M, University of Houston, University of Texas at Dallas and University of Texas at San Antonio. Notable alum include Favor (acquired by HEB), M87 (acquired by XCOM), Lynx Labs (acquired by Occipital), Accordian Health (acquired by Evolent Health), Disco Learning Media (acquired by ProBility Media) Ordoro, Rabbet, Apptronik, and EQO.
This year SEAL celebrates its 11th anniversary and continues to be one of the few programs to primarily serve very early stage, student-led startups based on technology-based solutions. Historically, about a third of the teams go on to raise funding to scale up their companies while about a third shut down at the conclusion or shortly afterwards. The No-Go decisions are equally celebrated as it takes special effort to recognize market-driven obstacles to an opportunity and realize that it is right not to pursue it.
The 2018 ATI SEAL program had the biggest cohort to date – 21 startups who pitched their ventures and Go/No-Go decisions to Austin’s entrepreneurial community. To date, SEAL startups have raised almost $100M and generated over $400M in valuation.
The SEAL program provides:
- Mentorship: Industry and/or field experts provide valuable guidance on industry-specific deal killers
- Lunch and Learns: Tutorial sessions on key knowledge areas needed to build a scalable, growing business such as market sizing, financial forecasting, intellectual operations planning, intellectual property strategies
- Fundraising Pitch Development: Teams pitch their projects on the very first day, develop and improve the plan through the program, and present the business pitch on decision day
- D-day: The program culminates with a decision day, where based on your research and expert advice, you decide whether your idea can survive the real world or not
- Connections: Meet other entrepreneurs, mentors, investors and the ecosystem community
- Co-working space is provided on the campus of The University of Texas as Austin by the Blackstone Launchpad
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ATI SEAL Class of 2019
Provides predictive analytics to help B2B sales organizations sell more with less effort.
Electric vehicle transportation city to city.
Smart cushion, designed to fit any wheelchair, that dynamically alleviates areas of high pressure to reduce the risk of developing pressure ulcers.
Diverting organic waste from landfills to generate renewable clean energy while capturing carbon in value added products known as biochar.
Food delivery for college campuses.
Provides a communication and location services platform that is reliable in limited cell environments.
Medical device company aiming to eliminate the occurrence of pocket hematoma post pacemaker implantation.
Swayy is a clothing aggregator that creates curated shopping experiences.
Automotive listing optimization company.
ATI SEAL alumni
ATI SEAL Class of 2018
Carnack (Kilroy Blockchain)
Drones of Prey
H2Optimize / Hydroid
Katz Water Technologies
Revitalize Charging Solutions
ATI SEAL Class of 2017Blueberri
Molecular Artificial Retina
ATI SEAL Class of 2016AeroClay
Class of 2015
Class of 2014
Class of 2013
Class of 2012
Class of 2011
AgiLux / VecturaLux
The Body Browser
Pheir Health / Agile Law
Class of 2010
Class of 2009
Sparq Mobile / Mutual Mobile